Subject: X Server Configuration
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Markus Moser <moses@landshut.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/17/2000 07:31:13
Hi!

I would like to configure some dec 5000/25 boxes (NetBSD 1.4.2) as pure
X terminals using the XDMCP.
Most things work fine when I invoke "X -indirect <chooser-host>" except
for some X server settings I wrote into Xsetup_0, namely:
- load a keymap (generated with xkeycaps) using xmodmap
- adjust mouse speed with xset
- add font path of an xfstt server with xset
I know that Xsetup_0 won't be executed unless I start xdm, but the
-indirect switch doesn't seem to work when entered in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers - xdm restarts the X server
periodically.
So I thought it would be a better idea anyway to put such things into
the XF86Config. But I did not find any in the NetBSD installation.
I believe I read somewhere that the pmax port uses a modified version of
the XFree86 server. Is that true so far?
Does it look for a XF86Config file and interpret it?
Does it have the same syntax as the XF86Config of the standard server?

To replace the xmodmap call I need to use the xkb extension, right?
I experimented a bit with the corresponding commands; When I try
something like "setxkbmap -model lk202", I get the error message
"Couldn't interpret _XKB_RULES_NAMES property". What went wrong here? (I
don't get this error on my Linux box.)

Thanks in advance.