Subject: Re: DS5000/200 woes
To: Iggy Drougge <optimus@canit.se>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/01/2000 16:22:01
On 1 Jun 2000, Iggy Drougge wrote:

> Yesterday, I decided to boot my 5000/200 over the net in order to replace my
> sadly defunct Maxine. I have removed the PMAG-B in order to use a serial
> terminal. I wrote down the hardware address and noticed that the terminal was
> set to "1". However, in order to force it into serial mode, I decided to
> "setenv terminal=s". After that, the thing froze. I pushed the reset button,
> the usual startup messages appeared, and the PROM prompt, too. However, it
> didn't respond to any of my commands! I was thinking that I had lost yet
> another PMAX, turned it off and went to bed (it was 3 in the morning). This
> morning, though, it worked fine again. This makes me wonder a) what could have
> caused this, and b) if this could have any relation to my Maxine suddenly not
> replying to the terminal anymore.

	Could be the terminal itself and/or the cable hookup. Might
want to recheck everything on that side and make sure it's working
right and the pin's are assigned correctly, flow control, etc. That
is odd though, perhaps reseting the NVRAM just to be safe wouldn't be a
bad idea.

> On another note, I've bought my 5000/200 from the US, and one the back, it
> says that it can be run using both 110V/60Hz and 220V/50Hz, yet it refuses to
> start up using standard 220V current and 50Hz frequency, but works fine using
> a modulator which cranks the current down to 110V but keeps the frequency at
> 50Hz. Is there any hidden switch which I've missed?

	I've never opened one of the switching regs in my 2xx series
DECstations, but I imagine that there is probably a wire or a jumper block
that you have to move *inside* the switching reg. to alter voltages. Only
newer P.S.'s have autoswitching or switched on the exterior. I could be
wrong though.

	Chris