Subject: Re: Boot Problem
To: Alan Wilson <phyaw@phy.hw.ac.uk>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/24/2000 15:10:47
> I successfully booted my Decstation 5000/25 over the network and ran the
> install program. That succeeded and i was told i could boot from the
> hard disk after a reboot.
>
> However I get the following:
>
> KN02-CA V2.0g    (PC: 0x807001e4, SP: 0x80700114)
> >>boot
> >> NetBSD/pmax Secondary Boot, Revision 1.0
> >> (root@vlad, Sat Mar  4 14:34:30 EST 2000)
> Boot: 3/rz2/vmunix
> open 3/rz2/vmunix: No such file or directory
>
> Can anyone help?

It sounds like your prom environment is pointing to the wrong file.

At the prom do a printenv to see what it displays.

Change the bootsomethingorother designation to something like:

    setenv bootwhateveritwas="3/rz2/netbsd -a"

and then it should boot the correct kernel.  Make sure the rz2 is actually
what your drive ID is.  Check that with a cnfg or a cnfg 3 or something
like that from the prom.

I don't have my manuals handy, but that should get you in the ball park.

Maybe someone else has the exact syntax.  I have not fired up my 5000/25
in several months, but it sounds like only the prom pointing to the wrong
kernel.

Good LUck....

Bob