Subject: Re: Netboot a 5000/240
To: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
From: Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@ieee.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/24/2000 08:16:26
Chris Tribo wrote:

> On Tue, 23 May 2000, emanuel stiebler wrote:
>
> > But, even having a "good" EPROM version (which is 5.2b, which should
> > netboot)
> > I always get:

> > -tftp boot(3), bootp 192.168.1.75:/tftpboot/nfsnetbsd
> > -tftp load 1090512\
> >
> > And here it hangs ...

> 	If this is a newer kernel you are trying to netboot with, it
> likely was compiled with the dhcp nfs bootp option which AFAIK is
> incompatible with a standard bootp/NFS setup.

Can you clarify what you mean by this?  This doesn't have anything
to do with emanuel's booting problem since the kernel hasn't
been loaded yet.

> Something from 1.4.1 should
> work with a standalone bootp/nfs setup, 1.4.2 will probably need DHCP by
> default and current isn't likely to work period. (IMHO) I have netbooted
> this PROM version with a 1.4.1 kernel and host running bootp/NFS on
> another 1.4.1 box as the server.

The prom list on the website was produced before NetBSD 1.3 was released
and was correct at that time.  Obviously kernels are much larger
these days with functionality like ipv6 included.  I suggest that the
current entries be confirmed and the list updated.  If there is a problem
netbooting kernels, then sending a PR would be appropriate.

Useful details are machine type, prom version, kernel size, binary format
and prom output/errors displayed.

	-- Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@ieee.org>