Subject: Re: LSI Logic
To: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/22/2000 00:28:36
On Mon, 22 May 2000, Toru Nishimura wrote:

> >> Eeeek!?  It's interesting.  I thought it has QED 4650.  How about Vr4300
> >> or (less attractively) Vr5432?
> >
> > Nope, it's a 167 Mhz QED 5230.  Lots of LSI ASICs, so it'd be a fair
> > amount of work to figure it out though. . .
>
> Let's conquer the peak.
>
> Tohru Nishimura

	Quite interesting :) Just out of curiosity, how much
(additional) work would it be [assuming you could get the 1xx/xx pipe
dream to work] to fabricate a daughtercard for the 2x0's and Simon's
rackmount boxen. I'm guessing that the 2x0 daughtercard would be
significantly more complicated and probably not possible to do in 6-8
layers. I imagine there are probably also some rather complicated
electromagnetic fields to take into account with the card design, even
without it being about 4 times faster clock speed :-)
	BTW, as long as I'm prodding, anyone up for designing a Multi-CPU
upgrade :) It's about time MIPS gave Alpha some competition LOL.

	Chris