Subject: Re: serial console
To: Josh Davidson <dogtoy@ductape.net>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/20/2000 15:56:30
On Sat, May 20, 2000 at 04:02:09PM -0500, Josh Davidson wrote:
> Has anyone here had any luck making a DECstation 3100 to db-25 or db-9
> serial port for console?

yes.  I run all my decstations (save a 5000/200) headless.

> If so how?

chop the tab off an RJ11 and wire it to the port of your choice.
pinouts are at http://csgrad.cs.vt.edu/~tjohnson/pinouts/.

If you don't feel like making one yourself, Tim Shoppa sells adapters
for a reasonable price at http://www.trailing-edge.com/www/mmj.html.
(the same MMJ pinouts are used on some alphas and VAXen as well as
decstations.)

> Also, what do the status lights mean on the back of the machine.

0111 1111 : system module
1011 1111 : disk
1101 1111 : keyboard
1110 1111 : memory
1111 0111 : mouse
1111 1111 : ? "contact your digital service representative"