Subject: Re: LSI Logic
To: Jon Buller <jonb@home.com>
From: Castor Fu <castor@geocast.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/20/2000 00:05:38
> > > If (or a BIG IF) that should make sense, take a RM5231 for it. So you could
> > > run nearly the same design (but still different boards) for the 5000/1xx &
> > > 5000/2xx workstations.
> > >
> > > realistic ? YES.
> > >
> > > Who would like to have one ?
> > >
> > > That's the problem. I asked the same question, probably 1-2 years ago, and
> > > nobody was interested :-(

Wow, people are really running wild with this.  I know our ASIC guys
mentioned the sysad bus had a fairly funky protocol on the 5231.  I'd
be pretty surprised if they had anything in common.  You'd probably
have about as much luck trying to make a playstation into a daughtercard.

If you want a 52xx based system, the cheapest thing out there is
probably the WebTV boxes. . .  the Echostar/WebTV dishplayer has
a pretty nice subsidy attached to it.

	-castor