Subject: Re: LSI Logic
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/16/2000 08:41:43
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>

> Rather sane and attractive solutions (a.ka. pipe dreams) for DECstation
> CPU daughter cards would fit in;
>
>     - RM 5200             "nicer than original R5000"

I thought about that long before. Problem is the "legal" stuff. With a
different CPU, you have to make changes in the monitor EPROMs. You're not
allowed to do this. So you have to write a new one with all the stuff in it,
what is needed (debug/tftp/mop/...)

> SGI made very fine product line of Indigo/Indy/Indigo2.  They kept the
> original Indigo design long time swapping/upgrading processor modules
> repeatedly.  It's shame Digital abandoned nicely competetive desktop
> solutions of MAXINE and 3MAX+ in favour of earlier introduction (heaty)
> 21064.

I'm sure, we would seen nice DS with even MIPS 5000/8000/10000, IF the alpha
would be delayed. But they finished the alpha design, and prefered to sell
their own CPU.

cheers,
emanuel