Subject: Re: backup solutions?
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/15/2000 14:26:43
>        I have enough downloaded stuff now on my main home ftp server
> (5k240 with 3 BA42's and a VRT16-HA) that a backup is becoming
> important. I have a tape device (a DEC DAT tape) but as I want to
> backup about 6 GB of data this poor device is not going to handle it
> without major compression. Are there any recommended software backup
> solutions ? e.g. BRU?  Anyone have experience running anything on
> netbsd pmax ?

NetBSD/pmax kernel had a major glitch for raw device access like R/W of
tape or /sbin/dump of filesystem.  Please make sure to use 1.4.2 kernel
on your 3MAX+, or even better, to use DS5000 kernel made from -current.
Unfortunately, dev/scsipi/st.c would require a hand tuning to make any
tape devices useful on DECstations (the issue should be solved soon).

#define ST_IO_TIME      (3 * 60 * 1000)         /* 3 minutes */
#define ST_CTL_TIME     (30 * 1000)             /* 30 seconds */
#define ST_SPC_TIME     (2 * 60 * 60 * 1000)    /* 4 hours */
                        --- originally it was 4.

I have experiences of EXB-10e, 10 tape jukebox with EXB drive, it was
proven useful with Personal DECstation.

I have no helpful recommendation about backing softwares this mement.

Tohru Nishimura