Subject: Re: LK-501 & KN02-CA v2.0m MAXine problems in 1.4X
To: Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/25/2000 22:22:06
On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Chris Tribo wrote:

>     On initial boot of 1.4X I went straight to multiuser and started X. When
> I got to X, started to type r for root and the letters just keep on
> repeating. I tried hitting many different keys and then somehow I managed to
> crash my system. I remember there were several keyboard errors listed on the
> xconsole, then the LED turned off on the front panel, it flashed very dimly
> and quickly for about 15 seconds and then turned off completely.
> Control-alt-del and cntl-alt-<X did not have any effect. I had to hard power
> off the system. On powering it up again, all the NVRAM contents had been
> erased and the system time was reset. Then I booted to single user and found
> that if I typed moderately quickly, keys would double repeat, instead of ls
> it would be llss and so on. However in singleuser and multiuser text login,
> keys don't endlessly repeat. When I start X they do.

  I noticed something similar when I was fixing the console display
output.  The keyboard was acting "strangely":  when depressing multiple
keys, each key release would result in another character event.  Single
keypress/keyrelease worked OK.  Also, key repeating was not functioning.
I did not run it long enough to notice any other problems.

>     Any thoughts/ideas?

  The replacement of timeout/untimeout to callout was done incorrectly.
The callout structure was added as a union member and overlays the
keyboard state data.  This results in the keyboard code stomping on the
callout data, and the callout processing stomping on the keyboard state
data.

  I have just committed a fix for this problem.

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant