Subject: LK-501 & KN02-CA v2.0m MAXine problems in 1.4X
From: Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/25/2000 18:42:31
Hi all,

    In my sorry attempt at tracking current, I did a CVS update on Sunday
night to 1.4X, after having to rebuild includes and config, I edited a
GENERIC configuration for MIPS1, PI SCSI and for MAXine and 3MAX+ only. The
kernel built fine (quite slow though). On rebooting into 1.4X some very
strange things started happening with my keyboard.
    On initial boot of 1.4X I went straight to multiuser and started X. When
I got to X, started to type r for root and the letters just keep on
repeating. I tried hitting many different keys and then somehow I managed to
crash my system. I remember there were several keyboard errors listed on the
xconsole, then the LED turned off on the front panel, it flashed very dimly
and quickly for about 15 seconds and then turned off completely.
Control-alt-del and cntl-alt-<X did not have any effect. I had to hard power
off the system. On powering it up again, all the NVRAM contents had been
erased and the system time was reset. Then I booted to single user and found
that if I typed moderately quickly, keys would double repeat, instead of ls
it would be llss and so on. However in singleuser and multiuser text login,
keys don't endlessly repeat. When I start X they do.
    I have not sent this to current-users or send-pr'd it yet, and 1.4U does
not exhibit this behavior. So somewhere between 1.4U and 1.4X something has
gone awry it would seem.

    Any thoughts/ideas?

    Chris

--

    "I use to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure..."