Subject: Re: netbooting problems
To: Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/20/2000 09:26:51
On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Chris Tribo wrote:

>     IMHO Netbooting is worthless. Takes 20x more time, gives you 20x more
> frustration than if you actually a.) removed the HD and wrote the diskimage
> with dd or b.) bought a SCSI device from which you could boot. e.g. It takes
> hours to figure netbooting out. setup hd: 2-3 minutes; time to dd disk
> image: 7-10 seconds; install hd: 2-3 minutes.

and I believe netbooting is extremely important.  for example, you've got
a non-scsi PC and no other machines.  now you want to install on a sparc,
or pmax that doesn't have a working os and you also don't own a tape or
cd-rom drive.  Well, you're stuck.  I had a hard time the first time
(before the HOW-TO's existed), but now its a snap and its a pretty easy
way to bring up a new machine.

-Dan