Subject: Re: PX/PXG and Neon project (beating the dead horse again)
To: Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
From: Andy Doran <ad@fionn.sports.gov.uk>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/15/2000 11:08:20
Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com> wrote:

>     In some late afternoon boredom I decided to go through the search
> engines and see what I could dig up on PixelStamp and the i860. Forget Intel
> for i860, there site doesn't even mention it anywhere. Other than the fact
> that it was a RISC CPU anyway. I did come across this small tidbit on the
> Neon project which I'm guessing was based on both PixelStamp and PixelVision
> technology. Has anyone checked into this Neon project for docs / source
> code? If nobody's checked, I'll try and put asside Unreal Tournament for a
> few hours and see if I can dig up anything. I've attached the little bit of
> info that I found to this message in the unlikely event that this is new to
> anyone.

FWIU the i860 is similar to the i960, although it has an instruction set
supporting vector operations. It has more-or-less the same MMU as the i486.

From a programming perspective, the PV is similar to the PX/PXG in terms of
command packet format. I'm not sure if the Neon relates similarly.

Although, personally, I'd be more happy if I knew what WTF an "N10" is. :)

Source is always nice. If you want to have a look, please do try (but don't
get your hopes up).