Subject: Re: /etc/rc.d/ runs slowsly
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/13/2000 02:36:34
> WARNING: this patch uses 'fgrep' even though it isn't in /usr/bin.  I
> can get away with this because I keep /usr on my root filesystem (where
> it belongs! :-).  If it's not appropriate to move 'grep' to /bin for the
> sticks-in-the-mud who don't want to move /usr to the root FS, then

I take serious issue with your presumption that all boot disks are large.

It is not an issue of "modern hard drives" once you think outside the box
of traditional server and workstation configurations.

	Installation floppies.

	Embedded devices (including little porn-delivering game consoles).

	Handheld PC's with very _expensive_ flash disks.

While I think the rc.d work is important, it is not so important that
it may destroy other long-standing positive aspects of BSD, for example
fast bootup times.

I am appalled at the bootup time on my workpad z50, but then I notice that
it is the only installation I have which is new enough to be using rc.d !

So perhaps it is time to heavily tune /bin/sh, for example to make it use
vfork() as much as possible. So many things use /bin/sh internally, it is
practically the first shared library ever invented. Speeding that up would
have positive benefits all over, not to mention builds...

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com