Subject: Re: No output display on DS3100 current kernel
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@mediator.uni-c.dk>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/06/2000 21:09:34
On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 05:31:12PM +0200, Erik Bertelsen wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 03:03:05AM +0000, NetBSD Mailing list wrote:
> > Previously discussed:

> However, in my case the machine does not boot fully. Some kernel messages
> continue to come on the console once in a while (I don't recall which right
> now). But apparently the machine has started rc processing, but not completed
> it, as telnets to the machine gets 'connection refused' indicating that
> IP is actually running on the ethernet, but inetd has not started.

To add to my problem: Using the older (1.4V) kernel makes the system boot normally,
but a current kernel (up to yesterday's sup) shows two differences:

 - the console output stops about the time the kernel is about to start or has
   started init. This has been observed by other persons as well.
 - secondly rc processing starts, but stops prematurely. I did some experiments and
   the result is that with no screen output the system ends up in single-user mode
   and I can actually halt or reboot the system using the keyboard. Booting the
   older kernel still works, so the difference is with the kernel.

Then I tried to remove those parts of /etc/rc.d that I have no use for (e.g. X,
yp, nfs, amd, apm) and a few that I could dispense with while testing (e.g.
ntpdate, ipv6) and came to a situation where rc processing can complete. Because
of lack of time, I don't recall exactly whether this happens automatically during
boot or I still have to help the system output of single-user mode and/or mounting
the root file system fully.

I'll report further in a few days (maybe not before well after the week-end) if I
can pin-point the problem and/or solution.

- Erik