Subject: Re: whee, it works.. sort of
To: Lord Isildur <isildur@guild.net>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/28/2000 12:51:37
Lord Isildur wrote:

> Whose bright idea was it to start using ugly sysV style rc.d directories??
> that is one of the most disgusting things i can think of! We've got
> clean, pure BSD style rc scripts, just the single /etc/rc and nothing more
> (from which anythign we wish can run) and somehow people just dont like
> the simplicity? Am i the only one who thinks that going sysV-ish is a
> BACKWARDS move? there is _no_ need to try to make BSD look like slo-laris
> or linux or any other popular systems. i thoughti was safe from the awful
> sysV-like world by using NetBSD!

There's been some rather ``vigorous'' discussions on a couple of the
other mailing lists (current-users and tech-userlevel) in recent weeks.
In summary, you're not the only one with that opinion, but most people
agree that what we have now is a step forward.  Could we please not
repeat the whole thing again on port-pmax? :-)

Simon.