Subject: Re: 3W3 video plug/socket
To: port-pmax@netbsd.org <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Peter C. Wallace <pcw@mesanet.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/14/2000 11:04:20
On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Peter C. Wallace wrote:
>
> > > 2) I have to consider that I will never find a cable so I may have to
> > > build my own.  Is the connector on the card a male(plug) or
> > > female(socket)?  My first guess is it is a female(socket) but it's a bit
> > > different than a standard sub-D connector.
> >
> > Assuming its like BNC connectors and goes by the sex of the inner contact,
> > then the card connector is male...
>
>  Considering other connectors of xWy type, the card connector is female
> and the plug is male.  It's easier to see e.g. at 13W3, used for Suns,
> which has standard pins apart from the coaxial ones.  See also
> http://www.conec.com/section9/.

Its kind of a funny business but all D type conectors I have seen are
"sexed" according to the contacts: for example a 25 pin serial connector
with male pins (DTE) is called a male connector even though the shell is
the female part. The 3W13 is even more confused since it has male coax
contacts and female single ended contacts...

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics