Subject: Re: NetBSD boot floppy
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: CHRISTOPHER J. TRIBO <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/28/2000 10:40:19
NetBSD Bob wrote:

> >     Hi.  I was wondering how one would go about creating a boot floppy for
> > installing NetBSD.  I was looking at the install notes on the NetBSD
> > site... it talks about how to write a disk image onto disk, but I noticed
> > that the gunzipped version of diskimage.gz is over two megs, making it too
> > large to fit on a floppy.  Any pointers?

	IIRC there *were* two disk images, one was a disk boot image (the
larger one) and then there was a floppy boot image. If that isn't the
case, I'm not sure what to think. The Personal DECstations have 2.88MB
Floppy options, but unfortunatly DEC didn't make any provisions to boot
off of them. You appear to be able to test the drive and format a floppy
from the PROM, but nothing more. It could *possibly* be done (with a lot
of hacking ), but I doubt it would be worth the trouble.

> I dunno if it is possible to boot a pmax from floppy.  The floppy on things
> like the 5000 is not usable.  The 3100's sometimes had scsi floppies, but
> I have not had any luck trying to boot anything off it.  <SNIP>

	I'm sure I remember someone posting to the list saying that they had
indeed booted from a SCSI floppy. I remember there were a few oddities
with the SCSI driver, but maybe the MI code has fixed that as well. Was
probably sometime mid-November IIRC.

	Chris