Subject: Re: PixelVision documentation
To: Maciej W. Rozycki <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/25/2000 11:30:30
"Maciej W. Rozycki" wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I'm not sure how complete SFB support in NetBSD is (yeah, I'm the
> "unfortunate" Linux developer) but I couldn't find any reference to the
> following document anywhere on your web site, so I suspect it might be
> unknown so far and you might be interested in it.
>
>  There is full documentation on the PixelVision architecture available.
> The architecture was first implemented in the SFB adapter.  Documents can
> be obtained from:
>
> ftp://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/DEC/SRC/technical-notes/SRC-1998-013.*

The SFB was the "Smart Frame Buffer" described in the WRL TR93/1 tech
note (I don't a have URL handy), and was on the PMAGB cards (known
as SFB as well).  I think this document describes the engine of the
PMAG-{C,D,E,F} cards (known as PX).  Useful info all the same!

We do have support for both chipsets in NetBSD but unaccelerated in each
case.  Andy Doran will correct any mistakes about the PX support, I'm
sure :-)

> (choose your favourite document format).  Credit goes to Joel McCormack of
> DEC/Compaq WRL, the designer of the SFB board, who pointed it out to me.

Cool.

Simon.