Subject: Re: DECstations, follow-up: PrestoServe
To: Chris Kalisiak <kalisiak@hotmail.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/24/2000 10:23:45
"Chris Kalisiak" wrote:

> Hello again,
>
>    I was wandering around the NetBSD site, looking at both the pmax and
> Alpha ports, and I noticed the following:
>

> Hardware the we do not currently support, but get questions about from time
> to time:
> [...]
> PrestoServe NVRAM on DECsystem 5100 and 5000/2xx machines
> [...]
> Note the primary obstacle to support of all but the very last item is
> non-availability of sample hardware for development.
>

> If anyone is interested in developing support for the PrestoServe NVRAM
> card, and has a compatible system, drop me a line.

The wording may be a bit suspect there.  I believe that there's no
programming info around for the boards, and developing a clean device
driver would also be difficult.  There have been discussions about
PrestoServe boards on this list in the past...

Hardware availability is not a problem - I think all my 5000/* machines
have PrestoServe boards simply because we've got so many of them lying
around, and they don't stop NetBSD from working.  My 5100 also has a
PrestoServe SIMM.

Simon.