Subject: Re: Incorrectly determined root partition in latest kernel
To: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/23/2000 11:18:45
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, NetBSD Mailing list wrote:
>
> > 	boot device: rz0
> > (1)	root on rz0h dumps on rz0b
> > 	no file system for rz0 (dev 0xfff015ff)
>
>   Oh, I wonder if this finds your boot device because it's rz0 (mine is
> rz2, which is not even found with the current code).  That might explain
> things.  The patch I sent you should fix this.

FYI, booting is exhibited as: boot -f rz(0,0)/netbsd

The patch for this now accomplishes the following:

	boot device: <unknown>
	root device:

Whereupon one must enter the drive/partition.

Oddly enough, now the partitions on rz0 came up dirty on the reboot, followed
by a panic.  The actual panic is lost as I'm not running a serial console
there.

For reference, the 1.4S kernel does operate as expected:

	boot device: rz0
	root on rz0a dumps on rz0b
	root file system type: ffs
(all automatically detected)

Rather than risk damaging partitions, I'm reverting back to the 1.4S kernel
and I shall await further suggestion.  I'll also re-sup, recheck the patches
and make a clean kernel.  That'll be all day, so I'll have results tomorrow
if no other recommendation is made.

Cheers,
-skots
--