Subject: Re: Upgrading PROM version on 5000/240?
To: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
From: Maciej W. Rozycki <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/21/2000 18:30:49
On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Chris Tribo wrote:

>     That's interesting, does it have its own IOASIC on the module itself you
> think?

 The memory/TURBOchannel (aka MT) ASIC is located on the R3k card.  An
equivalent must be present on the KN05.  This equivalent may claim to
cycles within the PROM range and select an alternate PROM chip.  It's not
an unusual design -- ROM shadowing is done in PCs this way, for example.

 It's pure speculation, though.

>     Anyone have a KN04 or KN05 R4k module they would sell/part with?

 They seem to rare, I'm afraid.

>     That would definetly be cool, that being the case, maybe its possible to
> eliminate
> all the tftp/mop booting problems. I seem to remember something in the test

 I wouldn't be sure of legal issues in this case...

> list on the
> Personal DECstations about eeproms. I saw that jumper too, I don't know what
> it does
> either. IIRC the 5000/200 has a jumper in that general vicinity as well.
> (minus the
> IOASIC of course, and no its not the NVRAM reset :-)

 The IOASIC as installed in DEC 3000 AXP systems is capable of forwarding
write cycles to the PROM.  So the whole necessary logic is already in
place.

  Maciej