Subject: Upgrading PROM version on 5000/240?
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/20/2000 18:37:58
Hi.  I searched through the mailing list archives and the website
without finding this info.  My apologies if it's out there...

I picked up a cheap diskless 5000/240 w/ 32MB of RAM (anyone have
any 8MB sticks for the /240 hanging around?  Or, for that matter,
16MB sticks for the /133?) that I'd like to netboot.  Unfortunately,
it is:
 3: KN03-AA  DEC      V5.1b    TCF0  ( 32 MB)
                                     (enet: 08-00-2b-2b-07-ea)

which is a version where "boot 3/tftp" just returns:
>>boot 3/tftp

???
? PC:  0x80021fe4<vtr=NRML>
? CR:  0x30000010<CE=3,EXC=AdEL>
? SR:  0x30080000<CU1,CU0,CM,IPL=8>
? VA:  0xa000ef3a

with no traffic on the wire (as evidenced by
"tcpdump -vvv ether host 08:00:2b:2b:07:ea") from a
5000/133 running NetBSD on the same coax strand.

So, since people have reported success with newer PROM versions (V5.2b is
said to work on http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/pmax/board-list.html#proms),
I'd like to upgrade my ROM to V5.2b if that's possible.  How can I do
this?  Or can I?

Since I don't have any SCSI cables of the right description hanging
around, it would be much easier to netboot this thing than to strap
an external drive on it.  Anyone have a spare expansion chassis with
cables, if I can't upgrade the ROM?  ;-)

Thanks,
-allen