Subject: Re: asc_intr: ignoring strange interrupt
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Andreas Priebe <apriebe@gmx.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/09/2000 20:23:42
> > > Jan 29 15:28:33 spade /netbsd: asc_intr: ignoring strange interrupt tc 984 fifo residue 3 script 1
> >
> > I get the same errors on DS5000/200s with 64M ram and PMAG-BA or PMAG-C.
> >
> > > They start immediately after boot and the numbers in the message change.
> > > I those errors down in times of 1.3G and vaguely remeber them to cause data
> > > loss, so this makes all -current kernels unusable for me - and I would love to
> > > run IPv6 :-)
> > > I have a DS5000/200 with a serial console.
> >
> > I have not had any problems with data loss that I can tell.  Been running
> > 1.4P on them for a month or so.  It seems to occur only on heavy disk I/O,
> > and not any other I/O.   I don't get the error generally after boots, and
> > only rarely on normal operation.  It seems to occur when the disks are doing
> > disk intensive compiles like kernels or gcc or something like that, or large
> > tarball unrolls.  It seems like a random occurance.
> >
> > Anyone else know anything.
>
>   That error message comes from a strange condition seen by the NetBSD
> driver as well as the Mach driver (from which the NetBSD driver was
> derived).  The drive appears to done a disconnect, has reconnected, and
> the DMA transfer restarted.  Then a "bus service" interrupt occurs, but
> the DMA transfer is still in progress and appears to be functioning
> normally.  If I remember correctly, the 'tc' value is the remaining byte
> count of the DMA transfer, and will vary depending on how far the transfer
> has gotten by the time the interrupt occurs and what the original transfer
> request size was.  The Mach driver was just noting the interrupt and
> 'ignores' it.  The NetBSD driver also just notes the interrupt occurred
> and continues.

So I gave it another try hoping it would just give those informational
messages and otherwiese work fine :-)
The box lived for about 15 minutes, showing only one of those asc_intr
errors and rebooted with "gross error" during the elm sort of my 44 MB
mailbox file:
The last line from /var/log/kernellog:

Feb  9 20:08:59 spade /netbsd: asc_intr: ignoring strange interrupt tc 982 fifo residue 3 script 1
Feb  9 20:19:25 spade /netbsd: asc0: SCSI device 1: gross error
Feb  9 20:19:25 spade /netbsd: rebooting...

What does that mean?

Andreas