Subject: Re: Use of accelerated X-server with PMAGB-BA?
To: Joachim Buss <TK97EL12@technis.syh.fi>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/08/2000 08:12:14
"Joachim Buss" wrote:

> Could it be possible to use the X-server from Ultrix 4.3a (just the
> binary Xws) on a NetBSD/pmax 1.4.1 system to get use of the
> accelerated features of the PMAGB-BA fb-board (or would this be
> slow)?
>
> If this is possible, how should it be done ? (necessary files ... etc.)
> I've complied the kernel with the COMPAT_ULTRIX options.

I believe that the ioctl interface between the Ultrix X server and the
kernel is not documented at all, and that this is the major stumbling
block to using the Ultrix Xws binary.  Apparent loss of the source code
for Xws inside DEC is also a problem.  I'm sure Jonathan will clear up
any major mistakes in this paragraph :-)

> Any suggestions are welcome.

Roland Dowdeswell has done some work on speeding up the TGA X server on
the Alpha, and the TGA is not that much different to the SFB that's on a
PMAGB-B.  None of this has been ported to the pmax yet.

Simon.