Subject: telnetd(?) problem , vms, etc...
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: KORONCZAY David <fu@yossarian.elte.hu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/04/2000 18:11:23
hi!

i have a netbsd/pmax,1.4.1 box that is actually configured so that
logins are allowed  from anywhere, both over telnet and ssh.

my problem is that i cannot log on to this netbsd from under
VMS machines by telnet.

it gets as far as putting out "login:", but nothing more.
i tried changing terminal type (the above was using vt100)

i found, that if i change terminal to UNKNOWN,
and type ^J^M after typing username, and ^J after typing password,
it does let me in, but seems still a bit unconvenient. ;(

using ssh instead of telnet, i encounter no problems.
also, i tried coming from some other unixes, both ssh,telnet is ok.
and i can telnet out from the VMS machines to anywhere, so they also seem ok.

i don't know if this is a bug in telnetd or anything,
i wonder if it could be fixed somehow.

other phenomenon with a different terminal type:

$ set term/dev=la38
$ telnet throne
%TELNET-I-TRYING, Trying ... 157.181.175.150
%TELNET-I-SESSION, Session 01, host tron, port 23
-TELNET-I-ESCAPE, Escape character is ^]
NetBSD/pmax (throne) (ttyp6)

telnetd: login_tty: Operation not supported.

%TELNET-S-REMCLOSED, Remote connection closed
-TELNET-I-SESSION, Session 01, host tron, port 23

thanks for any help (it's sort of important, by the way ;)
--
fu