Subject: Re: PMAG-C support.... success for Mr. Magoo!
To: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/13/2000 09:40:14
> > I was thinking PMAG-C graphics support was present in NetBSD-1.4P.
> > I have a DS5000/200 with PMAG-C plus VRT-19 color monitor.  When
> > it boots, it indicates that there is no graphics device connected
> > then it tries to find a serial terminal.  Is there any support yet
> > for that combination in NetBSD?
>
>   I've been running a PMAG-C in my 5000's for a while now under 1.4P. The
> only hitch is that the instal lkernel does not have support for the PX
> series of display cards. Is it possible you commented out PX support in
> your kernel config file or are you running the generic 1.4P kernel?
>   It's been said that the best thing to set console to is * instead of a
> number. That gaurentees that the PROM will grab any available console
> device regardless of its slot number. And it will also default to the
> serial console temporarily if no graphics console is available.

Success!  The first round I tried it it was at 3 am and I must have not
been too sharp at that time.  Anyway, last night, I tore the machine
completely down and moved if from the shop bench to a more permanent
location, put it all back together, and the HD was bellyup.  After a
reinstall, with the PMAG-C card in slot 0, it recognized the card,
came up fine, and does have LARGE FONT characters almost 1/4 inch high!
I LOVE IT!  24x80 on a 19 inch monitor is absolute heaven.  I dunno
exactly what I did differently in the second round, other than the first
install was from a serial terminal and the second from the graphics card.
I rebuilt the kernel once, but I thought I left it pretty generic.
Sadly, X dies with a strange interrupt error message and aborts to db,
then on a continue, dumps after stepping a few instructions.  I need to
see what that is doing.  Is there anything strange about bringing up
X on the PMAG-C card?  If I rebuild the kernel, and want to use only
the PMAG-C bits, stripping out everything not needed on the 5000/200,
what should be commented out?

Thanks

Bob.... the happy myopic camper!