Subject: Re: Any HD size limitations on boot disk?
To: Andrew Doran <ad@sports.gov.uk>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/11/2000 09:54:49
On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Andrew Doran wrote:

> If you have lots (well, a resonable amount) of memory it's also worthwhile
> adding 'CFLAGS+=-pipe' to /etc/mk.conf. This will stop gcc from passing
> data using temporary files. It also wins since one or more of cpp/cc1/as
> can run while other(s) are blocked waiting for I/O completion. This is a
> simplifcation, but oh well.
>
> Hmm. It's probably worth making this the default for ports which generally
> have 'lots' of RAM (thinking i386).

	Which will really annoy those running on older lower memory
	i386 hardware.

	Maybe we could have /usr/share/mk/... check for CFLAGS_PIPE, and
	if not set use 'sysctl hw.usermem' to set it based on the amount
	of user memory. This would them be pushed into the enviromnent so
	any nested make processed would not have to check again.

	Obviously you can set CFLAGS_PIPE to YES or NO to override this.

	What would be the correct amount of memory - 64MB?

		David/absolute