Subject: Re: Any HD size limitations on boot disk?
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/11/2000 09:32:05
David Brownlee wrote:

>           + For mfs(8) filesystems - classically mounted on /tmp in order
>             to speed up any programs using /tmp, by adding the following
>             to the fstab(5) file:
> 		    swap  /tmp  mfs  rw,-ssize 0 0
>             where size is in 512byte blocks. The space required
>             is taken from the swap space as the filesystem is used.

I haven't looked at the html, but

	swap  /tmp  mfs  rw,-sSIZE 0 0

(with upper case "SIZE" is easier (for me) to parse...

Otherwise, good!

Also, Dr Lex wrote:

> I always wanted opinions on whether the "async" flag should be specified here.
> I use it on some of my systems:
>      swap /tmp mfs rw,async,-s100000  0 0
>
> Theoretically, "async" should be faster. I didn't notice a performance increase

Seems to be the default:

	mona:~ 9> grep /tmp /etc/fstab
	swap                            /tmp            mfs     rw,-s=65536
	mona:~ 10> mount | grep /tmp
	mfs:118 on /tmp type mfs (asynchronous, local)

so no need to worry about explicitly adding "async" to your /etc/fstab.
(This is on both 1.4.1 and -current).

Simon.