Subject: ppp and browsing problems
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel Senderowicz <daniel@synchrods.synchrods.COM>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/10/2000 14:51:30
Hi guys,

I'm trying to run pppd on my 5000/240 with 1.4.1 and found a
problem with data transfer. I have a v.90 modem (explorer) that
shows to perform adequately with kermit. With the setup at
115200 bauds the modem usually responds with a connection speed
of 48k, and I get files transfered at a rate of approx. 3000
chars/sec. However, when I do ftp the data transfer is about
0.5kb/sec and most of the times it gets stuck. The same thing
shows when I use mozilla, the bottom of the screen shows the
message "stalled". When I looked at the serial port with
"stty < /dev/ttya" in both casees of connections with kermit and
pppd and they are essentially the same as shown below:

WITH PPPD
bicho# stty < /dev/ttya
ppp disc; speed 115200 baud;
lflags: -icanon -isig -iexten -echo
iflags: -icrnl -ixon -ixany -imaxbel ignbrk -brkint ignpar
oflags: -opost -onlcr -oxtabs
cflags: cs8 -parenb clocal crtscts

WITH KERMIT
bicho# stty < /dev/ttya
speed 115200 baud;
lflags: -icanon -isig -iexten -echo echoe echoke echoctl
iflags: -icrnl -ixon -ixany ignbrk -brkint ignpar
oflags: -opost onocr onlret
cflags: cs8 -parenb clocal crtscts

One more problem: when I run mosaic, it keeps giving me a
message that it cannot write a temporary file for lack of disk
space. I'm not sure where is trying to write, but I have no
problems with disk space (9.1G disk with the standard 1.4.1
partitions). Any clues? Thanks in advance.

Dan