Subject: Re: Mouse/keyboard ports on DECsystem
To: Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
From: Philip Tait <Philip.Tait@phxase.allied.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/05/2000 06:35:47
Chris Tribo wrote:

>     I think you can get away with the above make if you comment out all the
> TurboChannel frame buffer definitions further up in the makefile.

You mean the config file?  Appended are my further changes, in case they are of
interest.

> Beyond
> that, what does your /etc/ttys look like? I don't think getty will listen to
> the serial ports unless they are defined in ttys, admittedly I've never
> tried what you are doing before. In the event the above doesn't get you
> anywhere, perhaps NetBSD is looking for modem control signals? i.e. DTR,
> DSR, XON/XOFF, RTS/CTS?

I'm actually using a Perl script to perform the I/O, so I have the getty off.
However, I did try activating getty, as part of my tests.  The login prompt
appeared just fine, but input was not echoed.

Your suggestion on modem and flow control signals is a good one - however,
note that this was merely a disk drive change on an already working setup
(using OpenBSD/pmax 2.1 - I said 2.5 before, sorry for the misinformation).
Reverting to the prior setup restored proper operation.  So I think I have flow
control set up OK.  Also note that the keyboard and mouse ports are Tx/Rx only
- there are no flow or modem control lines available.

Here are the config file changes for my latest attempt - I wonder if it would
be feasible to reorganise the config files a little to make this more
straightforward?

Main config file:

113c113
< include       "arch/pmax/conf/tc.std"
---
> include       "arch/pmax/conf/tc_nofb.std"
119c119
< include       "arch/pmax/conf/builtin.maxine"
---
> #include      "arch/pmax/conf/builtin.maxine"
163,164c163,164
< pseudo-device rasterconsole    1      # NB: raster console requires "fb"
< pseudo-device fb               1      # up to 3 framebuffers
---
> #pseudo-device        rasterconsole    1      # NB: raster console requires
"fb"
> #pseudo-device        fb               1      # up to 3 framebuffers

$ diff tc.std tc_nofb.std
14c14
< include "arch/pmax/conf/tc.options"
---
> include "arch/pmax/conf/tc_nofb.options"

$ diff tc.options tc_nofb.options
6,8c6,8
< cfb0  at tc?
< mfb0  at tc?