Subject: Re: SCSI floppy on 1.4.1
To: Stanislaw Grygiel <stach@ee.pdx.edu>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/03/2000 15:57:02
On Sun, 2 Jan 2000, Stanislaw Grygiel wrote:

> I have a DECstation 3100 with netbsd-1.4.1 installed on rz2 and ultrix-4.2a
> on rz0. I also have a SCSI floppy drive at rz4. When I boot netbsd it doesn't
> seem to configure the floppy:
> Beginning old-style SCSI device autoconfiguration
> rz0 at sii0 drive 0 slave 0 DEC RZ57     (C) DEC rev 5000
> rz0: 954MB, 1928 cyl, 15 head, 67 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 1954050 sectors
> rz2 at sii0 drive 2 slave 0 SEAGATE ST32430N rev 0510
> rz2: 2049MB, 3992 cyl, 9 head, 116 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 4197405 sectors
> And when I use disklabel command to chek rz4 I get:
>
> storms# disklabel rz4
> disklabel: /dev/rrz4c: Device not configured

  That message is not suprising, since NetBSD didn't detect the drive when
it configured SCSI devices.

> What am I doing wrong? Please help!

  If the floppy doesn't respond as a "direct access" or "CD ROM" type
device, it won't be recognized as a disk.  The pmax driver should report
an "unknown media code" in that case, so that's probably not the problem.

  I think you can get the PROM to probe the SCSI bus and display what it
finds, using the 'scsi pb' command.  I think that may show what device
type each device is.

  Hmm - it's also possible that the floppy doesn't respond to the Inquiry
command like expected, and get ignored.  [The TZ30 tape drive has this
problem, but the tz driver checks for this.]  Another possibility would
be if the Inquiry information doesn't indicate that the device is
removable, and ignores the device if it isn't ready.  You should be able
to check this by putting a floppy disk in the drive when you boot.

  The next step would be to boot a debugging kernel with some additional
information printed out during the device probing to determine how it's
failing.

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant