Subject: Re: dead 5000/200 - any ideas
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Lord Isildur <isildur@guild.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/03/2000 12:13:39

> Looks definitely like a Y2K problem. Committedd suicide before seeing the
> W2000 ;-)

these machines dont have a Y2K problem! (as a matter of fact, according to
a DS5000/200, it is 1976 right now :)

> remove all cards, remove most of your ram (if you have tons of it), check if
> any of the ICs, which are socketed, are loose, move them a little, check the
> power supply, which voltages are on.
>
> because you say, that all LEDs are ON, the workstation stops already at a
> very beginning ...
>
> check with the nearly empty box, and tell if anything on the LEDS is
> changing ...

this is good advice. i'd recomend cleaning it thoroughly as well (incl
perhaps removing the motherboard for cleaning). I had a 5000/240 that
would not function at all, until i cleaned it, and then like magic it
worked! (and has been working for a couple years now!)
Whats your video arrangement? i've seen PMAG-B's fry on occasion from
poor grounding situations, whic caused quite notable havoc on the system,
naturally :-) just a thought.

at least you know you've got power if the LED's are illuminated..

happy hacking,
isildur