Subject: Question regarding various kernel sources/sets
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Michael <rmichael@oci.utoronto.ca>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/30/1999 09:03:08
I noticed the conversation between Simon and Dan regarding
update to the sys/dev/tc/asc_ioasic.c file - specifically
updating from rev. 1.15 to 1.15.2.1 and after looking on
the ftp site, I am somewhat confused about the whole matter.

I just built a new kernel from:
/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.4.1/source/sets/syssrc.tgz

but upon inspection I see it contains the old asc .c file.

Since,
/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/src/sys.tar.gz (25/12 @ 13:45)
and
/pub/NetBSD/arch/pmax/snapshot/1.4.2_ALPHA/source/sets/src.tgz
						(27/12 @ 12:00)

are both development (the latter is a 1.4.2 ALPHA, what about
NetBSD-current?), which should I use for a bleeding edge kernel?
(Not necessarily a stable one.)

Also, there's this file:
/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-release/tar_files/src/sys.tar.gz

Since this a daily snapshot of the release branch, should
I assume that it is of the 1.4.1 release?  Why is there a
1.4.2 changelog in the directory if 1.4.2 is only alpha?

I see that there are no patches in:
/pub/NetBSD/arch/pmax/patches/

To what source tree would these patches be relevant?

What source set should I use for the latest stable kernel?
I would guess the NetBSD-release source, since I notice it
contains the asc_ioasic.c 1.15.2.1.

--
Another issue:
For the build of the 1.4.1 kernel that I mentioned above,

#pseudo-device   fb               1      # up to 3 framebuffers

since I don't have a framebuffer, nor will I need one.  The build
failed errors in the link stage.  I don't have them copied out,
but would be happy to reproduce them.  My question is just why
it failed.  Is there something I mis-cfg'd (does something else also
need to be commented out) ?  Once I uncommented the line, kernel
built fine.
I know that's a bit general, if the errors would help, let me know.

Sorry for the windy post :)
--
Regards,
Richard