Subject: Re: DS5k/240 refuses to boot
To: Ulrich Teichert <ut@netsurf.de>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/29/1999 13:19:39
Ulrich Teichert wrote:

> Hi!
>
> After getting a DS5k/25 successfully to boot up, I tried the same
> on a recently acquired DS5k/240 with 224 MB of RAM ;-)
> Sadly, it stops with error messages unknown to me, prior to
> send *any* requests over the net.
>
> Here is the boot-up output of the serial console and the cnfg-output:
>
> KN03-AA V5.1b

This model is listed as "Doesn't appear to tftp boot correctly" on
http://www.NetBSD.ORG/Ports/pmax/board-list.html.

> (there is no keyboard or printer attached to it, so I disregarded
> the error messages on boot-up)
>
> This box has a TC-FDDI-card in addition to the on-board components,
> which I haven't pulled out yet (I have pulled out the presto-server
> card and a TCE option card, but to no avail).

You should be able to leave it in - it'll show up as a:

	fta0: FDDI address 08:00:2b:a6:13:ea, FW= 1.1, HW=2, SMT V7.2
	fta0: FDDI Port = S (PMD = ANSI Single-Mode Type 1)

> Is the ROM version (5.1b) too old to boot via TFTP? I don't have
> a mop server handy and this box has no drives currently attached
> to it. Or is it dead? Has someone seen this error message before?

Do you still have you /25 running NetBSD?  I've got a severely hacked up
mopd that should let you boot the other box.  Another answer is to blat
the diskimage.gz onto a disk on the /25 and move that to the /240.

Simon.