Subject: Re: Updating to -current snapshot, framebuffer performance
To: Reinoud Zandijk <zandijk@cs.utwente.nl>
From: Andy Doran <ad@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/15/1999 14:34:39
Hi Reinoud.

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:

> To get some feeling of my framebuffer's performance, i ran a series of
> Xperf tests that showed it was quite fast and propably accelerated too!
> Well great!
>
> But... it doens't seem to be used in my release for windowdragging... it's
> quite slow and moves line for line... also scrolling is slow too, esp.
> outside of X.

The slowness with scrolling is down to the hardware and the Xserver's cfb
layer. There is code available to accelerate that kind of thing on the
sfb, but it's not part of the Xpmax server (at least not right now).

> i have a `xcfb at tc0 slot 2' and a warning i got more framebuffers than
> configured.,...  and a `sfb0 at tc0 slot 0 (1280x1024x8) , (console)'....

Can you please send me (privately) your dmesg output and kernel
configuration?

> I don't know the difference between xcfb and sfb but i guess the first is
> monochome?

Both are 8-bit color, the sfb has h/w acceleration but the xcfb hasn't.

- ad