Subject: Updating to -current snapshot, framebuffer performance
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <zandijk@cs.utwente.nl>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/15/1999 14:56:48
Dear folks,

I'm sucessfully running a Maxine by netbooting under NetBSD/pax 1.4.1....
and with xdm it works .. smoothly... well allmost.

Apart from being a bit slow on compiling and major screen operations - i
can live with that - it also find myself into problems trying to build a
-release kernel for it for netbooting.

I just saw a new snapshot (1999-12-08?) and wondered if it will benefit
me. I saw that the stuff was quite reorganized, so i wonder if it is also
faster, esp. the screen.

To get some feeling of my framebuffer's performance, i ran a series of
Xperf tests that showed it was quite fast and propably accelerated too!
Well great!

But... it doens't seem to be used in my release for windowdragging... it's
quite slow and moves line for line... also scrolling is slow too, esp.
outside of X.

I wonder if it is posible to use the accelator for these situations too? I
haven't dug into the code yet for this...

i have a `xcfb at tc0 slot 2' and a warning i got more framebuffers than
configured.,...  and a `sfb0 at tc0 slot 0 (1280x1024x8) , (console)'....

I don't know the difference between xcfb and sfb but i guess the first is
monochome?

Thanks in advance,

Reinoud
(not subscribed yet... maybe i should :-))