Subject: Re: DECsystem -> DECstation
To: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/13/1999 19:20:52
>> #=3
>> boot=-z 5 3/rz2/netbsd -a
>> console=1
>> osconsole=0,3
>
>'screen' is on TC slot#0, while 'kbd' is on TC slot#0 == IOASIC.  REX
>chooses so because 'console' variable is not 's'.

... or because it's '*'. ISTR one could set the console to a specific
slot, but the default is highest or lowest, I forget which.

Highest slot was higher DMA priority, I forget which order the search
went in. I know I've found it useful from time to time, with hardware
that the PROM supports but NetBSD doesn't. That's why findconsole()
goes through so many hoops: what to do if the PROM picks a framebuffer
as console but NetBSD doesnt' support that fb, but does support
another?

And that should be a 3 for the ioasic, no?