Subject: Re: 1.4.1->current upgrade
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/13/1999 13:20:48
>> Would someone please explain to me the easiest way of going from
>> 1.4.1 to -current without too much hassle?
>
> The easiest way would be to use the recent snapshot under
> pub/NetBSD/arch/pmax/snapshot/1999-12-06.  Something like:
>
>	[ .... ]

'Upgrade' install option of /install will do basically the same thing,
preserving old contents of /etc moved to /etc.old.

The troublesome part is, /etc is ever changing and accumlating new
system features, and it's hard for to 'upgrade' automagically various
pieces of user configured /etc.  I guess that's the reason why
/install leaves afresh defaults in (newly created) /etc.  /var/backups
will also help.

>>  I have lots of nice things
>> installed on my 5000/200's 1.4.1 installation, so I don't want to
>> reinstall with the snapshot. The available documentation didn't have any
>> insights on how to fix the many errors that I got.

Tohru Nishimura