Subject: Re: netbooting Maxine (MOP, TFTP)
To: Reinoud Zandijk , <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/09/1999 17:10:25
on 12/9/99 4:03 PM, Reinoud Zandijk at zandijk@cs.utwente.nl wrote:

>> This was all from memory, but I think it is pretty much correct. I can
>> post my bootptab when I get home or you can post yours, whichever works.
>> Another thing that helps for MOP: In /tftpboot/mop, rename your boot_mop
>> file for the Maxine to its hardware address.SYS i.e.:
>
> and where do i find the boot_mop? I've tried some of the ecoff files just
> to have a ecoff file... even tried `/boot'

    That's just it, you can't mop boot an ecoff file. ECOFF files are for
TFTP booting. In order to use MOP, you have to have a specially created mop
image. The reason I haven't tried MOP booting yet is because there doesn't
seem to be a MOP image for netbsd/pmax. I have one for NetBSD/vax and I
frequently use it to boot my vax no problem. I have a closed network so
security isn't a problem, but personally I would still rather use MOP as it
doesn't require enabling TFTP (even though it restricts access to /tftpboot
only). If someone could make a MOP image for pmax I could certainly make use
of it. I agree that there is very little documentation on mop.
    Conversely, TFTP booting does work without a hitch for me. Lets take a
step back since using mop is out of the question for the time being.

1.) Do you have the NFS / NFS Install disk image expanded in
/usr/export/pmax/root (or whatever path you happen to be using)?

2.) Do you have nfsnetbsd.ecoff in /tftpboot and /usr/export/pmax/root?

3.) Do you have /etc/exports setup to export /usr/exports/pmax/root?

My bootptab file is as follows:

Enterprise.home.net:\
    :ht=ethernet:\
    :ha=08002b2fc87a:\
    :sm=255.255.255.0:\
    :ip=192.168.1.3:\
    :hn:\
    :bs=auto:\
    :bf="nfsnetbsd" (I took off the .ecoff for no reason)
    :rp=/usr/export/pmax/root/:

/etc/exports need only contain the following. Did you say you wanted to NFS
Install or run the system diskless?

/usr/export/pmax/root

 Then issuing boot 3/tftp/nfsnetbsd (in my case, in yours it would probably
be nfsnetbsd.ecoff) works fine for me. Let me know if that gets you any
further. There is some good step-by-step docs on the NetBSD web site for
netbooting if you get in a jam. It only contains info for NetBSD, OpenBSD
and Linux, but it should tell you everything you need to know if you want to
run the system diskless. Good luck.

    Chris

--
    "I use to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure..."