Subject: Re: netbooting Maxine (MOP, TFTP)
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/09/1999 23:09:15
jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU said:
> Did you miss the footnote -- you quoted the pointer to it-- or are you
> trying to incite a flamewar :)?

I hope noone takes this serious enough for a flamewar...

> we should turn the rarp/bootparam option off
> by default, except on hardware that needs it

I could live with this. A side point: if it isn't in GENERIC, it
will not even be compile-tested, and suffer from bit-rot soon.
That's another problem of course. I've thought about adding a
kernel config file "ALL" or so which contains everything possible
(whether it makes sense to have in one kernel or not) from time to
time, but didn't do it due to lazyness.
Otoh - people should be intelligent enough to choose bootp/dhcp over
bootparam theirselfes. The misfeatures of bootparam are just too
obvious.
So I can't say I care very much -- "let the portmaster decide".

best regards
Matthias