Subject: Re: netbooting Maxine (MOP, TFTP)
To: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <zandijk@cs.utwente.nl>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/09/1999 22:03:55
Hi Chris,

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Chris Tribo wrote:
> 	The name in bootptab should reflect either the hostname or the alias
> you used in /etc/hosts. In my mini-network I have used the names of the
> space shuttles. So in etc/hosts it would look like:
>
> 192.168.1.16	Endeavour.home.net	Endeavour

Checked it :-)

> and the bootptab entry would be something like:
>
> Endeavour:\  (or Endeavour.home.net, full hostname is probably better)
> 	:ht=ethernet:\
> 	:ip=192.168.1.16:\
> 	:sm=255.255.255.0:\
> 	:hn:\
> 	:rp=/usr/export/pmax/root:\
> 	:bf="nfsnetbsd.ecoff":\  (quotes are unnecissary, but I use them
> anyway)
> 	:hd=/tftpboot:	(Note no backslash on the last entry)

tried it :-(

> 	This was all from memory, but I think it is pretty much correct. I can
> post my bootptab when I get home or you can post yours, whichever works.
> Another thing that helps for MOP: In /tftpboot/mop, rename your boot_mop
> file for the Maxine to its hardware address.SYS i.e.:

and where do i find the boot_mop? I've tried some of the ecoff files just
to have a ecoff file... even tried `/boot'

> 08002b2f0eff.SYS (Note the case, MAC address with lower case letters and
> caps .SYS) That way you should be able to just type boot 3/mop and in
> your system message log you should see:
>
> [MOP] PID: HA "Do you have (MAC address.SYS?)  [Yes]
> [MOP] PID: HA "Send me (MAC address.SYS)	[OK]
> 	... load completed

This first message is printed indeed... just the second doesn't come
:-((.. the DEC just won't ack it... The NetBSD/sparc tells :

Dec  9 21:56:14 rangerover mopd[666]: 8:0:2b:37:62:cb (1) Do you have
08002b3762cb? (Yes)

and moptrace tells

Dst          : 8:0:2b:37:62:cb
Src          : 8:0:20:18:a7:22
Proto        : 6001 MOP Dump/Load
Length       : 0001 (1)
Code         :   03 Assistance volunteer

I guess the DEC didn't know what to do with this code 03... different
protol version???

Hmm.... getting a bit sad... and i have no docs about mop either...

Tanks again,

Reinoud