Subject: Re: Linux NFS-root
To: Douglas S. Meade <doug@umd.edu>
From: emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/07/1999 15:54:12
From: Douglas S. Meade <doug@umd.edu>
Sent: Monday, December 06, 1999 7:43 PM
Subject: Linux NFS-root

> Since upgrading to Linux RedHat 6.x,

Call it downgrade then ;-)

> I've been unable to netboot either
> NetBSD or Decstation Linux from my Decstations.  I spent some time
> today trying to get to the bottom of this problem, but I'm still stuck.

Same here. Tried for some time, then decided, that the RedHat 6.0 & 6.1
aren't working for this purpose.

I have now an extra decstation/NetBSD, which is serving the root
directories. The res (like data/...) is fine on the RedHat 6.0 System.

Please don't ask me, why i don't use NetBSD on the PC ;-)

> There should be a FAQ somewhere about this, but I don't seem to find
> one.  I've received at least half a dozen suggestions already, but
> none of them worked.

I don't think there is a FAQ for this. The usual FAQ is about usual systems,
not broken linux distributions ;-)

> I've also tried uninstalling the knfsd from the system, and re-installing
> the latest version of the old nfs-server-2.2beta40-1, but this also
> doesn't work.

There is something completely broken in the RedHat 6.x distributions. If you
find out what, please tell !

cheers & have fun,
emanuel