Subject: Re: snapshot available
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Jamie Scuglia <jamie@cs.monash.edu.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/07/1999 17:36:29
On Tue, Dec 07, 1999 at 12:03:05PM +1100, Simon Burge wrote:

> I've just placed a -current snapshot on ftp.netbsd.org in the
> pub/NetBSD/arch/pmax/snapshot/1999-12-06 directory.  It should be
> complete except for the X11 sets - I'm building them now.
>
> Some pmax-specific highlights of this snapshot over 1.4.1 are:
>
>  + fix to `asc' SCSI driver that should stop panic's while using
>    dump(8).
>  + cdfs and lfs capable bootblocks.
>  + 5100 support.
>  + px graphics card support.
>
> If you have any problems, either send-pr them or send them to the
> port-pmax mailling list.

The updated kernel and base work fine on a DEC 5000/240 (3MAXPLUS), but
when we try to use it on a DEC 5000/200 (3MAX), the kernel just hangs
before the NetBSD copyright messages - i.e. the last message we see
on the screen is

	[ preserving 134836 bytes of netbsd ELF symbol table]

Then the machine hangs - no more messages, doesn't respond to key presses.

I took the exact disk used in that DEC 5000/200 and put it in a
DEC 5000/240, and it booted perfectly, so the only difference there
is the hardware, since we're using the same physical disk.

Is this a known problem or is a fix available?