Subject: Re: Current kernels hanging in _splnone() on a /240?
To: Marc Gutschner <Marc.Gutschner@Frankfurt.NetSurf.DE>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/07/1999 11:56:34
Marc Gutschner wrote:

> Toru Nishimura wrote:
> >
> [...]
> >
> > According to the symptoms, your /240 kernel mishandles interrupts from
> > TC option cards, either HX or PMAD, even both.  Is it possible to test
>
> Mmhhmmm, strange... Does this point to broken hardware? I've been
> running a 1.4.1 kernel for about 20 hours without any problems - but
> then the machine crashed while running the 'daily' cron job with the
> following message:
>
>     panic: trap: reserved instruction in kernel mode
>     status=0x8fc10, cause=0x10000028, epc=0x8011ff78, vaddr=0x4536c00
>     pid=998 cmd=netstat usp=0x7ffff188 ksp=0x8002fee0
>     panic: trap

Have you tried a _full_ PROM self test - either "test" for one test at
the >> prompt or "test -l" to loop until you hit ^C to stop it.

> ...  The boot
> messages are as follows:
>
>   [ usual copyright message ]
>   DECstation 5000/240 (3MAXPLUS)
>   boot device: <unknown>
>   root device:
>                ^-- and here it sits and doesn't accept any input from
> the keyboard :-( This also happens with either a CX or HX board...

I fixed a bug with 5000/2{4,6}0 serial port handling last night.  If you
can compile your own kernel, can you try again?  If not, you may have to
wait until Tohru can build a new one for you (I don't have the wscons
branch set up at the moment).

Simon.