Subject: Linux NFS-root
From: Douglas S. Meade <doug@umd.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/06/1999 21:43:36
Since upgrading to Linux RedHat 6.x, I've been unable to netboot either
NetBSD or Decstation Linux from my Decstations.  I spent some time
today trying to get to the bottom of this problem, but I'm still stuck.

On the NetBSD client, we get as far as mounting root, then the
boot dies with "Unable to mount root, err = 49".  The Decstation
linux kernel dies at the same place.  Both netboots worked with
RedHat 5.2, with all relevant files (exports, bootparams, bootptab,
ethers and /tftpboot and nfsroot tree) the same.

There should be a FAQ somewhere about this, but I don't seem to find
one.  I've received at least half a dozen suggestions already, but
none of them worked.

The knfsd rpm comes with the default option of --no-nfs-version3
in the startup file in /etc/rc.d/init.d.  I think this means, not
to use version 3 of NFS.  Is that compatible with what NetBSD is
expecting?

I've also tried uninstalling the knfsd from the system, and re-installing
the latest version of the old nfs-server-2.2beta40-1, but this also
doesn't work.

I'm stumped.

Douglas Meade                                 doug@inforum2.umd.edu
Inforum Project                               meade@inforum.umd.edu