Subject: Current kernels hanging in _splnone() on a /240?
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Marc Gutschner <Marc.Gutschner@Frankfurt.NetSurf.DE>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/05/1999 18:19:25
Hi all,

since the weather is getting colder outside I'm firing up some more
machines to keep my home a comfortable temperature ;-) Now, I've been
trying for some days now to get a -current kernel running on my /240
that has been sitting idle for some time now.

I have a HX and a PMAD-AA in the box. The second NIC is for netbooting
the box since it has currently no disks. The kernel initializes,
switches to Rasterconsole, detects the hardware and than hangs just
before probing the SCSI bus for devices.

With printf-debugging I've tracked it down to the _splnone() call in
autoconf.c. I've compared this to the latest release and discovered that
there have been some changes to autoconf.c and locore.S since the 1.4.1
release that seem to have broken the kernel for this machine :-( Since
I'm virtually MIPS assembler illiterate I'm quite stranded at this
point.
The machine in question is a /240 with 112MB RAM, HX and a PMAD-AA with
ROM version (IIRC) 5.3t... The 1.4.1 kernel still boots fine and works
quite stable with a 1.4 user-land, although it will panic when doing
netstat.

Any help is appreciated :-)

thanks,
Marc