Subject: Re: pmax WSCONS status
To: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/03/1999 20:56:39
nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp said:
> 3 different sets of input drivers are under development.  DC7085;
> almost done and waits for field tests

I just had a look at it because I wanted to make a kernel for
a 5000/200. (I've got four of these boxes now, which i'd like
to make some use of - beyond Ultrix.) No offense intended of course,
but the ibus/dc* stuff in the [nisimura..] branch looks more like
placeholders than usable code. Is it proven to run at all (the tty
stuff at least)?
The separation into tty/kbd/mouse frontends is the way to go - agreed.
What I'm not sure about is which codebase for dz/dc chips is the
best one to use. There is dev/qbus/dz.c and pmax/dev/dc.c. The former
deals with 8-port devices but looks rather minimalistic otherwise.
The pmax dc code seems to be more featureful but limited to the dc
4-port chip.
Can you comment on these drivers and which one is more suitable for
a generic one? How compatible are these interfaces at all?

best regards
Matthias