Subject: Re: Tape drive seens as HD?
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mauricio Tavares <Mauricio@proedint.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/30/1999 09:04:24
At 09:08 AM 11/30/99 +1100, Simon Burge wrote:
>"Aaron J. Grier" wrote:
>
>I missed this first time around - it sounds like the device is reporting
>that it's a direct access (ie disk) device at the SCSI level.  Do you
>know if this tape drive has ever worked on any operating system?

	I really do not have info on that; it was given to me many moons ago but
only now I am slapping it to a computer to investigate it.  So, you can say
I am using my netbsd box to see if the tape drive works.

>As far as using a working tape drive, something like:
>
>	tar cf /dev/nrst0 file ...
>	mt -f /dev/nrst0 offline
>
>should work.

	Ok, so it is like SunOS then.  But, I still need to put it in the right
device ID and then go from there.

>> If I'm not mistaken, tapes need to be on ID 5 or 6.  (I have a TZK10 on
>> ID6 and it shows up as tz1 -- if it were on ID5 it would be tz0.)
>
>That's a NetBSD/pmax restriction because of the old SCSI driver.
>However, the driver will detect it as a disk drive if that's what the
>device wants to advertise itself as.

	In that case, what to do?