Subject: pmax WSCONS status
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/29/1999 12:10:19
So as some of people know, I have been making WSCONS drivers for DECstations
for a year.  Let me summarise the design and development status.

WSCONS will allow user to use multiple virtual consoles on a single
screen.  It also allow to have 'multi-head' configuration, which would
directly contribute multiple-screen Xwindow server.

Effort on DECstation displaying has brought nice drivers, and
tested good (besides of pm and CX. PX is entitled for Andy).  They
require improvements for multi-colour console, though.

Efforts on WSCONS input side is rugged bebind.  The internal is designed
as follows;

	- 3100/3max
		dc
		   vsms
			wsmouse
		   lkkbd
			wskbd
		   dctty0		(useful as /dev/ttyD2)
		   dctty1		(useful as /dev/ttyD3)

	- 3min/3max+
		zsc0
		    vsms
		    	wsmouse
		    zstty0
		zsc1
		    lkkbd
			wskbd
		    zstty1

	- maxine
		dtop
		    lkkbd
		    	wskbd
		    vsms
			wsmouse
		zsc
		    zstty0

	- 5100
		dc0
		   dctty0		(useful as /dev/ttyD0)
		   dctty1		(useful as /dev/ttyD1)
		   dctty2		( ... )
		   dctty3		( ... )
		dc1
		   dctty4

To make above possible, GENERIC description will have;

	dc* at ibus?
	lkkbd* at dc? line ?
	vsms* at dc? line ?
	dctty* dc? line ?

	zsc* at ioasic?
	zstty* at zsc? channel ?
	lkkbd* at zsc? channel ?
	vsms* at zsc? channel ?

	dtop* at ioasic?
	lkkbd* at dtop?
	vsms* at dtop?

	wskbd* at lkkbd?
	wsmouse* at vsms?

3 different sets of input drivers are under development.  DC7085;
almost done and waits for field tests.  Zilog 85C30; I decided my mind
to scratch from the bottom instead of improving existing codes.  The
summit is far away...  ACCESS.bus; it has been a pain in teeth.  The
right solution would be to have a two way channel to talk with
ACCESS.bus devices (then, LK501 could ring bells).

What's necessary to complete them; fresh blood (younger is better) and
soul.  The code under development is available with
[nisimura-pmax-wscons] tag on CVS repository, and it would bring
concrete figure of my design and approach.

Tohru Nishimura